- environment en‧vi‧ron‧ment [ɪnˈvaɪərənmənt ǁ -ˈvaɪr-] noun [countable]1. the environment the air, water, and land in which people, animals, and plants live:
• Since these chemicals were banned, pesticide levels in the environment have been declining.2. the general conditions that influence something:
• Moving forward in a changing environment is never easy.
• In the new global business environment the exchange of information is the key to success.
• The new company will be operating in a competitive environment.
• The results were in line with what we expected, in spite of the difficult economic environment.
• Despite the poor retail environment, the company is doing well.
• the Windows environment
* * *environment UK US /ɪnˈvaɪərənmənt/ noun● the environment — Cf. the environment► [C] the conditions that people live, work, or spend time in and the way that they influence how they feel, behave, or work: business/commercial/retail environment »
In a fast-paced, changing business environment, making sure employees have the right guidance can be critical.office/workplace environment »
After working freelance for some time, I wasn't sure whether I would fit well in an office environment.»
a learning/working environment»
a friendly/pleasant environment► [C] IT the system in which a computer or computer program operates: »
The company develops large-scale, fully-integrated, multimedia software environments for telephone company networks and cable TV systems.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Environment — may refer to: * Natural environment, all living and non living things that occur naturally on Earth * Built environment, constructed surroundings that provide the setting for human activity, ranging from the large scale civic surroundings to the… … Wikipedia
Environment — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda El environment surge en Estados Unidos, a principio de los años cincuenta y en torno al compositor John Cage y la tradición dadaísta no hay que olvidar el papel de Duchamp en Nueva York , Se empieza a hacer visible… … Wikipedia Español
Environment — En*vi ron*ment, n. [Cf. F. environnement.] 1. Act of environing; state of being environed. [1913 Webster] 2. That which environs or surrounds; surrounding conditions, influences, or forces, by which living forms are influenced and modified in… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
environment — I noun atmosphere, aura, circumstances, context, environs, locality, milieu, situation, surroundings II index atmosphere, climate, locality, location, situation … Law dictionary
environment — [n] surroundings, atmosphere ambiance, aura, backdrop, background, circumstances, climate, conditions, context, domain, element, encompassment, entourage, habitat, hood*, jungle*, locale, medium, milieu, neck of the woods*, neighborhood, purlieus … New thesaurus
environment — ► NOUN 1) the surroundings or conditions in which a person, animal, or plant lives or operates. 2) (the environment) the natural world, especially as affected by human activity. 3) Computing the overall structure within which a user, computer, or … English terms dictionary
environment — environment. См. среда [обитания]. (Источник: «Англо русский толковый словарь генетических терминов». Арефьев В.А., Лисовенко Л.А., Москва: Изд во ВНИРО, 1995 г.) … Молекулярная биология и генетика. Толковый словарь.
Environment — acoustic ecology anthropocene apocalypse fatigue assisted migration bads biostitute biotecture blue … New words
environment — c.1600, state of being environed (see ENVIRON (Cf. environ) + MENT (Cf. ment)); sense of nature, conditions in which a person or thing lives first recorded 1827 (used by Carlyle to render Ger. Umgebung); specialized ecology sense first recorded… … Etymology dictionary
environment — background, setting, milieu, backdrop, mise en scène … New Dictionary of Synonyms